GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Mounting shutters on a recently side home with deep recessed metal frame casing around windows

moematthews | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

We recently sided our home and the windows are wrapped with metal. I would like to properly hang shutters from the casement but the installer says the depth is too deep and that the only way I can install shutters in NEXT TO the window frame. This will drive me absolutely nuts. I would like to have the shutters installed ON the casement to look like real “working shutters” as opposed to “decorative” shutters. is there a way to do this using specialized hardware to make up the difference of the depth of the deepest part of the casement out to rest against the house? In other words, I was told it’s too much of an angle to install. I’m not opposed to buying wooden shutters—is there a way to mount them properly?


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    Your question is somewhat unclear. When you wrote that "the windows are wrapped in metal," do you mean that these are wood-framed windows with exterior aluminum cladding?

    I'm not sure what you mean by "I would like to properly hang shutters from the casement." A casement is a hinged window; in the U.S., most casement windows are hinged on the side and open inward. Is that the type of window you have? Or did you mean to write "casing," not "casement"?

    I'm not sure what you mean by, "the depth is too deep." Do you mean that this windows are inset (not really flush with the siding) -- what are sometimes referred to as "innie" windows?

    My guess is that we can't give you advice on how to mount your shutters unless you can post a photo.

  2. user-4310370 | | #2

    Are you talking about windows that are inset requiring offset hinges like this?

    You should be able to take a picture and get help from any reputable shutter company.
    (timberlane, southernshutter etc.)

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |