Need a quality minisplit

gobuck | Posted in General Questions on

Which mini split is most energy efficient and which is most dependable?

Todd,
    Start by reading this article: "How To Buy a Ductless Minisplit."

2. gobuck | | #2

Thank you.
    I have two Mitsubishi units in my house. My daughter is getting quotes now for her condo. Both contractors recommended Haier units. I thought these were lower quality brands. Have I been mislead?

Dana Dorsett | | #3

Haier is a large Chinese refrigeration appliance manufacturer. I haven't been favorably impressed with the longevity/reliability of their standalone dehumidifier products, but maybe their cooling equipment is better (?).

Who is going to back up the warrantee, maintenance, & repair aspects of a Haier mini-split? The support chain matters, something the Japanese mini-split vendors seem to have a better handle on in the US/Canada than some of the others.

The most important thing for efficiency is sizing it correctly for the loads, not the brands. A 13 SEER mini-split with a reasonable modulation range correctly sized for the cooling load can easily outperform a 3x+ oversized 20 SEER model that never modulates.

Is it being used for cooling-only, or both heating & cooling? Got a model number? Did anybody run a true Manual-J load calculation?

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |