GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

On Call Engineer support

Ruston | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I run a small hotel in coastal south Texas, mostly renting cabins weekly.

I have air flow issues and need support and advice on how to fix them as well as advice on future construction. 

We’re basically building the cabins ourselves, 12×24 pier and beam construction. Metal roof, smart panel siding, 2×4 walls. The shell is fully windstorm engineered and approved. The interior I’ve been building out myself like a tiny house. R13 fiberglass batts in the wall and R30 Batts in the attic space. I’m sure that the attics don’t have enough airflow and I’ve just had to pull one down in a smaller cabin to find mildew. 
   In the next few months we will begin building 50 additional cabins. I want to build them “right” out the gate vs fixing issues down the road. 
    I also have a mobile home with moisture issues too. 


My need is a person/firm that I can call who can tell me best building practice going forward and how to fix my current problems. I don’t necessarily need building plans although I’m not against that either. I’m happy to pay hourly or by the job. But again, the vast majority of our conversations will probably be an hour long phone call once every other month or so. Ideally none once all the problems are fixed and plans are solid. 

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Ruston | | #1

    Or can someone tell me what kind of person I need to google for? I'm not even certain. Thanks!

  2. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #2

    An architect would probably be able to do this for you. There are also many "integrated" design firms, which tend to house a mixture of architects and engineers. These firms will usually consult on projects too, and they tend to have all required resources in house. I'd look for one of these integrated design firms in your area and give them a call. Ask them about what you're trying to do, and what they might charge for a design/plan review. They will probably be able to help you with more than just the attic ventilation, and it would be worth paying for several hours of consultation with them.

    Note that there are also integrated design/BUILD firms. These are different from what I'm talking about. Integrated DESIGN firms will sometimes also have in house general contractors, but they don't normally have any trades on their payroll -- they sub out EVERYTHING related to the actual construction work. The integrated design firm I use for my projects does only design work, but they have in-house architects, mechanical engineers (for HVAC stuff), electrical engineers (for power stuff), and structural engineers (to make sure the building can hold up heavy stuff). They will do any level of review that I want, from a quick consultation all the way up to participating in plan review meetings with the city and helping to oversee construction work. Everything is an hourly charge. This type of firm would probably be most likely to help you out without wanting to be more involved than you'd want them to be.


    1. Ruston | | #3

      Thank you so much Bill!! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Do you mind sharing the name of the integrated design firm that you use?


      1. Expert Member
        BILL WICHERS | | #4

        I don't know if the firm I use is licensed in Texas (they are licensed in multiple states though), and I'm not sure if the editors here on GBA want us to give out specific contractor information. If one of the editors wants to comment and give me the go-ahead, then I'd be happy to post contact info, or email it.


        1. Ruston | | #5

          Ahh, I didn't think about those rules (if they exist) thanks for the heads up :)

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |