Over my head
I’m new to this forum, so I hope this is an appropriate question. I’m at the planning stage for a gut rehab of a ~2500 sq ft home in Boston, MA (which I think is zone 5). We’re going to be completely rebuilding the envelope and replacing all the systems. We will have 14kW of solar on the roof.
I’ve been doing my best to research heat pumps, mini splits, ERVs, HRVs, Minotair, etc etc (including reading a lot on this site) to try and figure out what to do for this project, but I’m way over my head. I think I need some help just to know which are the practical options I should be deciding between. If anyone could give me some guidance, it would be enormously helpful. Here are our details:
– basement is a concrete slab (which we will be re-pouring as part of the project) with a playroom and bedroom as conditioned space
– first floor is an enclosed office, semi enclosed living room, and an open kitchen/dining/living area
– second floor is 4 bedrooms
– unfinished attic can be used for systems
– 14kW solar array
– will be re-sheathing and insulating the house as well as replacing the windows. will be tight envelope
– definitely need ventilation. Have a son with dust allergies
I’d love some advice on where I should be aiming my decision-making energy.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part