GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Range Hood Exit vent

JoeNorm | Posted in General Questions on

Hello all,

I ordered a 6 inch steel wall vent for my range hood vent and was pretty disappointed by the damper setup. Is has no spring or gasket to seal when not in use. It’s also pretty flimsy so it easily gets blown in the wind.

Are there any tried and true wall vents that people like? I figure if I am making a big hole in the wall it may as well seal up when I am not using it.


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #1

    None of them are what I'd really think of as "quality", but that's how pretty much all things ductwork are. I've used this one before:

    You have to be very careful that you don't get too much grease going up the duct since the damper can stick if it gets much of a coating on it.

    Tamarack makes a backdraft damper with a sort of fabric sock in it that some people like, but I've never tried that one myself.

    BTW, I recommend trying to install the damper in place where you can reach it if at all possible just in case you need to pop it open or clean it in the future.


  2. Alex_Coe | | #2

    I'd like to find a quality solution myself. If you find something, do come back and post it. I will do the same!

  3. Mark_Nagel | | #3

    Maybe something along the lines of this?

    Wire it up to the fan switch.

  4. JC72 | | #4

    Many range hoods come with a damper near the hood itself. If not you can always buy a passive butterfly damper which won't sap too much energy from the fan itself.

    Is the vent pipe as it exits the wall perfectly level or does it have a slight downward trajectory? These wall cap dampers are typically well protected so wind shouldn't cause it to flutter open or are you just assuming wind will cause it to flutter open? You don't want a spring on the damper nor do you want to use a sock type of damper. NO NO NO.

  5. charlie_sullivan | | #5

    Check out this previous discussion:

    My recommendation there is from Imperial, and I don't think it's the right size for you but someone else linked their full catalog:

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |