Recommendations for large capacity washers?
Looking for recommendations for water efficient large capacity washing machines.
1. This is for a home that requires a lot of heavy laundering because it includes an elderly person with disabilities (bedding, towels, etc). They currently have an older extra-large capacity top loader and already do a couple loads/day. Large capacity is essential.
2. The home is in a rural area with no municipal water or well options. All water is via rainwater harvesting (from every sizable roof surface on the property) and occasional overflow from a neighbor’s spring. They usually haul in several tankloads of water each summer. So while Energy Factor is a consideration, maximizing water efficiency is paramount. I know front loaders use less water, but generally hold a lot less clothes.
3. The family relies on assistance from home care aides and extended family members who often drop by to help out. Therefore, the simpler and more intuitive the control panel the better.
4. Most of the loads need laundered on HOT for sterilization purposes – are there any washers with an internal booster (like some dishwashers) so that the water heater can be lowered?
5. They live in a rural area an hour or more from any city and several hours from any sizable one and are concerned about being able to find repair services. Local options only cover mainstream brands like Whirlpool, Kenmore, & GE – so they would lean towards those but would consider other brands if they had stellar records.
We’ve checked the EnergyStar website but their list includes several hundred qualified washers but no search functions making it difficult to narrow down options to research. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part