GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Replacement windows

pyGiK2XVBj | Posted in General Questions on

Older brick home in Virginia beach, Va. It has aluminium slider casement windows.

Removed old window. I found the wood rot around window frame, brick bottom and brick sides.

What should I do? Also, on the outside, the window sill is sloped toward the house as per a level.

I have pictures of this. Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    Here are the steps to repair each window: Remove the rotten wood. Remove the brick sill and rebuild it with the proper slope. Install flexible flashing in the rough opening to prevent future water entry from damaging your wall. Install a new replacement window (preferably NOT an aluminum window).

    You can do the work yourself, if you understand all of these steps, or you can hire a contractor to perform the work.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |