GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Should I use Cor-A-Vent?

northern | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m using wood siding and rainscreen vent over closed cell spray foam/OSB/felt/3/4″ furring. Cor-A-Vent seems quick and easy but expensive. I haven’t seen any similar alternatives. Insect screen alone seems labor intensive and not very durable.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

    The spun polypropylene (?)roll mesh used in ridge vents works great for rainscreens too, eg:

    The 9-12" stuff you can cut down to 4-6" width. Most of it is 3/4" or so thick, and springy enough that you won't have big gaps with 1x furring.

  2. Expert Member

    Roy, Here on B.C.s coast where rainscreen is mandated insect screen has been supplanted by U shaped perforated flashing. Most lumberyards here stock it but any sheet metal supplier or builder with a break could bend some up for you.

  3. northern | | #3

    Thanks for the input Dana and Malcolm. What is the size and spacing of the perforations in the flashing, Malcolm?

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |