GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Soundproofing from street noise

Margareta Svensson | Posted in Interior Design on

Anyone able to recommend a good quality sound proof window? Right now I am facing problem of street noise

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    There is no such thing as a soundproof window. However, some windows are better at reducing sound transmission than others.

    The traditional approach to reducing sound transmission is to install a triple-glazed window (not double-glazed), and to install it in an airtight manner. At night, the use of heavy curtains might also help a little.

  2. Peter L | | #2

    Best option is to utilize a triple pane window that has better than code air tightness. A typical dual pane window (operable slider or single hung) has an STC rating of STC 21 - 23. A triple pane window that is a tilt and turn or casement will have better air tightness. It will also have a STC rating for around STC 35 - 37 depending on the window size and type.

    Wood frame walls are about STC 25-35 depending on what materials area used (drywall thickness, exterior sheathing, etc). ICF (6" concrete walls) walls are STC 50. So with dual pane windows being around STC 21-23 they are the "weak link" in sound proofing a home.

    I've seen a triple pane Intus PVC window and it was a tilt & turn. When it closes and locks it has about 7 locking pins that grab the window frame and when the handle closed the window pulls tight and locks. The window was like a vault safe door. Very heavy duty and high quality. They get about STC 36 on the sound rating. That would be just as good or even better than a wood framed wall.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |