GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Split heat-pump water heater?

jinmtvt | Posted in General Questions on

What’s up with that ?
Are we again left in the dark zone or what ?

I’ve easily found a few hundreds of chinese units of split ait to water HP heater,
a euro Fujitsu model, some asian Toshiba models and a few DE and CH brands doing different designs …

Am i missing something here ?
As far as i know, none of those are available in USA/CA
and they SHOULD BE.

anyone found a supplier in North America ??

i’d settle for anything better than our regular tanks ..

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    It's called the Daikin Altherma. It's available. And it's expensive.

  2. davidmeiland | | #2

    My plumbing contractor has installed a number of Altherma units, and is looking into a few other varieties of the same thing. There are at least a couple of split HP water heating devices. I looked into one from Nyle not long ago, apparently they work fine but are not cheap.

  3. jinmtvt | | #3

    Martin : i had missed the "split" system on Daikin website ... have they been offering it in split units for a long time ?? but if i read correctly, the system is probably too pricey for a regular residential setup,
    to be used solely on water heating purposes.

    David: do you have an idea of the cost of the cold temp Nyle unit ?
    at least, it looks like it's made in USA

    i'll continue my search,
    but it looks like i'll be doing some imports soon again ....

    Would the be any interest if i could get a product that has a sufficiently good COP
    with a decent price and cold temp setup ??

    Wonder what kind of gov approvals are required to sale/install this kind of products in NA .

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |