Tankless water heaters

BarryWS | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

For a new and small one person house, which type of tankless hot water heater is more efficient, a propane or electric? Are they close or is there a big difference? Any brands/models better than others?  Thank you!

1. _Stephen_ | | #1

Electric tankless need a huge amount of current.

No chance you can put in a small electric tank even?

1. BarryWS | | #3

My space is too small. I think electric is not going to work after reading some earlier posts.

AKOS TOTH | | #2

In most climates a heat pump water heater cost less to run than most fuel burners and 1/3 to 1/2 the electricity of a standard electric tank/tankless.

Unless you are very tight on space, that is what I would design around.

1. igrigos | | #4

I agree Akos, provided a good install (not in a closed off space for instance) and that the space isn't being heated by electric resistance. A HPWH in an electrical resistance heated house can be worse than just installing an electric resistance water heater.

Brian Pontolilo | | #5

Hi Barry.

We have a new article on water heaters here: Choosing an Efficient Water Heater. The article includes discussions of efficiency and fuel type and there is a super small split heat pump unit that you may consider. It's also super expensive, in comparison to other options, but worth a look.

4. NateSc | | #6

I've been happy with our electric tankless.

I believe it is a component in our very low energy consumption household, <200kwh per month per person without being actively conservative.

The biggest inconvenience is that if you try to put on a slow drip of water sometimes the unit does not recognize it needs to turn on, and the water will be cold. Not a big deal to us.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |