GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

The use of blown insulation on the underside of a roof that requires a fire resistance rating

PGWtFxvDvS | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

We are looking for advice for insulating the roof in a renovation of a curling club in Toronto. They are looking for blown insulation for the underside of the roof. The goal is avoid covering it with GWB for fire protection due to deadload concerns. Monoglass has been suggested, which is a blown fibreglass product that is apparently green and does not require GWB to protect it from fire. We have manufacturer’s literature and an NRC reference to a study underway, but nothing “impartial”.


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Christopher Briley | | #1

    Check out Air-Krete. Your project seems to be what it was made for. (It's pricey though.) Not sure it can be applied from below on a horizontal surface like a spray foam though.

    it sounds like someone needs to go through the UL (underwriter laboratories) assemblies to ensure you are meeting the propper fire rating for your assembly.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |