GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Recommendations for Air-Sealing Products

big__o | Posted in General Questions on

I want to seal between studs, and all seams like bottom plate to floor etc.

is there a recommended sealant to use? silicone? poly? anything else? thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Kiley Jacques | | #1

    Hi Max,

    You should definitely take a look at this recent buyer's guide article: A Roundup of Air-Sealing Products and you may want to watch this episode of the BS* + Beer Show: What About Sealants?

    1. big__o | | #3

      thanks! so it looks like sound control sealants and STPE sealants are a good way to go?

  2. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #2

    I use polyurethane for all of this. Sistered studs can be bonded with contruction adhesive too, and if that's the case, the adhesive gives you an air seal.

    Polyurethane is much, much more durable than silicone, although I've seen decades old silicone that is still doing fine too.


  3. big__o | | #4

    thanks. any particular brand or product you like?

  4. dfvellone | | #5

    I haven't used any products other than Loctite's PL polyurethane caulk, but I've used a lot of it over several years on steel roofing, for sealing windows, and for just about any application requiring caulk sealant, and it performs very well.

  5. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #6

    I've had good results with the PL line too, and it's what I use most these days. I used to use a lot of the GE silicones, but I've mostly switched over to the PL series polyurethane products. This goes for both sealants and construction adhesives.

    I use Titebond glue for basic wood bonding (non structural stuff), usually the water resistant kind in the green bottle. For canned foam, I like Loctite's Titefoam for more critical stuff (like locking rigid foam panels in place along a rim joist), and great stuff in the gun for most other regular stuff. I've heard good things about OSI Quadfoam (which is available for the foam guns), but I haven't used it myself yet.

    There is a roofing sealant that is black that is really good but I don't remember the name, I don't do much roof stuff. I probably have a tube of it somewhere and can go find it if someone is really curious what it is.


Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |