Trombe wall (non-vented) with exterior moveable mode of insulation?
I am in the process of completing my energy efficient house design. Approximately 80% of the Building Envelope will be a Double Stud Wall Construction allowing for roughly 11″ of Cellulose Insulation in addition to a 1″ Rigid Insulation outboard of the Sheathing and inboard of the Hardie Cement Fiberboard Skin. The Remaining 20% of the Envelope will be Double Glazed Fiberglas Windows with emphasis placed on the South Elevation (Perhaps 60% on South, and 20% each on East and West). However, on the South Elevation I also have two sections of Trombe Wall – each 8′ in width and 12′ in height. The Trombe Wall will have a triple glazed exterior window treatment with a 2″ air gap between the Glazing and the Black Face Brick. Obviously, I want the advantage of the Solar Gain and the Thermal Mass associated with the Trombe Wall. The disadvantage of course will be the Heat Loss during nights and days without Sun. For this I have designed an Exterior Operable Roll Up Shutter that would hopefully provide sufficient Insulating capabilities to minimize Heat Loss when the Trombe is not contributing to the warmth of the house. Recently, I have begun to consider substituting an overhead Bi-Fold Type closure in lieu of the Roll Up Shutter as I believe this would have better insulating capabilities and most likely have fewer maintenance issues, I have looked at Schweiss Doors on their website, but I am concerned that it may be somewhat impractical to use the Bi-Folds since it may require a significant clearance outside of the Trombe Glazing to accommodate the operating mechanisms (either Hydraulic or Winch Driven with Straps or Cables). Any comments/suggestions? Anyone have a similar condition? TIA
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part