Vapor barrier at interior high humidity locations?

Ryan Magladry Ottawa, Ontario | Posted in General Questions on

Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Wall is 12″ thick R44:
2″ R8 EPS, zip system sheathing, 2×6 c/w R22 Rockwool, Intello+ interior smart vapour retarder, 2×4 c/w R14 Rockwool, interior finishing as specd

It is a limited vapour open wall in both directions.

I have a bathtub shower combo (acrylic base and acrylic surround), and a shower (acrylic base and tile over waterproof gypsum) against the exterior wall.

Given that these bathrooms will see elevated humidity should i add some 6 mil poly on the inside of the studs, between stud and the acrylic surround/waterpoof drywall?  In these 2 areas of the house the concentrated vapour/humidity will not be able to cross the poly?

Ryan,
    This is a judgment call. If I were you, I would probably use interior polyethylene at the shower.

2. User avatar
    Jon R | | #2

My take is that an exhaust fan will create negative pressure and stop humid air/water ex-filtration (which can move a lot of moisture quickly). For the short (I assume) time that it's super humid, not much diffusion will occur - without poly, it can dry inward over many hours of normal humidity.

3. Ryan Magladry Ottawa, Ontario | | #3

Jon, I am using a balanced erv, so it wont have the moisture moving potential of a dedicated direct exhaust fan.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |