Wall detail – old house renovation
I will be replacing old double hung windows in an old (1790’s) house with numerous siding and wall issues. New construction windows will be installed due to exterior moisture issues, sill rot and clapboard failure necessitating the complete replacement of clapboards. Existing wall assembly:
1. Cedar clapboards
2. Old Felt paper
3. 2″x16″ pine planks installed vertically (stockade fence style). These planks
sit on an 8″x8″ sill with a similar beam above (post and beam style)
4. Split lath and plaster installed directly to the 2″x16″ vertical planks.
5. NO INSULATION.
Proposed assembly: due to small roof overhand extending exterior not an option.
1. Replace existing clapboards with new cedar clapboards over a rain screen/barrier product nailed to “plank sheathing:
2. Demo lath and plaster walls to planking.
3. 1″ foil faced rigid insulation
4.. 2×4 interior wall.
5. Dense pack insulation.
6. 1/2″ drywall
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part