Well-known Habitat for Humanity volunteer suffers medical issues

Martin Holladay | Posted in General Questions on

At work at a Habitat for Humanity construction site in Winnipeg, Manitoba — reportedly “cutting wood” — former U.S. president Jimmy Carter collapsed in the hot sun due to dehydration. He was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Jimmy Carter, recently diagnosed with cancer, is 92. He’s a role model.

Here’s a link to the article: Jimmy Carter Treated for Dehydration at Canadian Hospital.

The photo below [from the NY Times] shows him at work on a Habitat project in Edmonton on Tuesday of this week.

P.S. A different article noted that his cancer treatment was successful, and he is now “free of cancer.”

.

1. JC72 | | #1

The man has a constitution like no other and I wish him a speedy recovery.

John,
    When I called him a role model, I was thinking of "a role model for dealing with retirement."

Staying active (even if you might drop dead on a job site, because it's better to drop dead on a job site than in an armchair in front of the TV); giving back to the community; and still, decades after he helped get solar thermal collectors installed on the White House roof, maintaining his consistent advocacy for renewable energy.

3. JC72 | | #3

Agree, I can envision him telling his wife that if he wasn't so active he wouldn't have made it to his 90's.

MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Jimmy Carter once gave a funny interview where he commented on a clip of Dan Quayle working on a Habitat site. Something along the lines of: "It took him about 25 hits to sink that framing nail. It takes me three, and even Rosalynn only takes five".

5. azgreg | | #5

Just heard on NPR that he's back at the work site today.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |