What is the best lumber to use that is anti-mold and low-VOC?

PenOC | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am building a house and would like to use all low or no voc products from lumber to insulation to interior. I am also wanting to have as much anti-mold products as possible. What suggestions for the lumber, foundation and sealing, and insulation?

1. user-2310254 | | #1

At a high level, you need to build a home that is well sealed and insulated. Preventing moisture from entering the structure will go a long way to helping you prevent mold and mildew. Equally important is designing an effective ventilation strategy.

You might want to search GBA for articles on how to build a "pretty good house." At the same time, I would warn you that building a high-performance "green" home is a complex (and at times frustrating) endeavor. You will have a much better experience if you can partner with a conscientious green builder, home designer, or architect.

Penoc,
    I haven't heard of any common types of lumber that raise VOC concerns. So I don't think you have to worry about lumber.

Preventing mold on framing lumber really has nothing to do with the type of lumber you choose. It has more to do with:

(a) doing your best to prevent mold growth during construction -- which isn't always possible,

(b) designing a house that isn't likely to have high indoor humidity,

(c) designing a house with good exterior water management details, and

(d) installing a good ventilation system and operating the system with intelligence.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |