What should I replace my heating and cooling system with?
I’m looking for advice on the ‘best’ solution to my heating and cooling (and hot water)
– Zone 5b
– Loads from coolcalc and manual D/J
– Main house: 28k to 36k, 900 cfm
– Sunroom addition (can be closed off): 8k, 150 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)
– Office addition 5k/3k, 180 cfm. Unducted, can probably be heated via staircase.
– Main house cooling load: 24k to 36k, 1200 cfm
– Sunroom addition: 8k, 450 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)
– Office addition 5k/3k, 350 cfm. Needs some cooling cooling.
– Existing Heating: 115k 95% variable speed furnace (over 10 years old?)
– Existing Cooling: 2 ~1 ton old minisplits (relatively expensive to run)
– Existing water heater: standard low water heater at the end of its life
– central cooling that is highly efficient
– Efficient blower to run in circulation mode for filtration and even out temperature
– Correctly sized heating and cooling system to eliminate rapid turn and off
– Solution for office cooling
– I’ve thought about mini splits or just an electric heat pump but everyone says the climate is just a little cold with no backup heat and that minis are the most expensive option.
– There is a lot of SW glass for passive heat in the winter but its problematic for summer
I’m currently looking an HVAC contractor to try to redo all 3 but relying on ideas but I’m not getting great proposals. Things like: Won’t do a new manual D/J, won’t use the old one, want to upsize lots, propose single stage SEER 13 equipment, etc.
I have found one contractor who will do whatever I want but he doesn’t really know what would be best from an efficiency perspective. I have ideas (heat pump) and this contractor (hydronic) has some ideas but I’d love to hear what some other folks think would be ideal. Open to all options.
Thanks for any ideas!