GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What type of windows?

Barry_E | Posted in General Questions on

In the photo you can see three window openings. When the building was new i assume there were windows that fit the brick openings. I also assume that they were changed later for something the owner at the time had access to. The rough openings were framed in and I believe used/salvaged windows were used. They are now ready to be replaced, rot, inefficient.

I’d like to go back to the original size rough opening which is 80″ and between 1/2 and 1/4 wide and 75″ and 1/2 tall. 

These windows are on the rear of the building facing west. I’d like for them to open some for the breeze in spring and fall. I think casement might be best but am open for suggestions from the pros.  I’ve been told casements can be damagaed by wind at that size.  

Id like to ask for suggestions, opinions on what I’ve said and anything else that could be added. I don’t want to go cheap but I want value over brand. Where would recommend buying/ordering from?
Thanks for any help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. BrianPontolilo | | #1


    You'll likely get some thoughts on brands and if you tell us where the house is located some folks may be able recommend performance specs for your windows. The first thing that came to my mind was the potential window arrangement. Those are big openings. How about narrow casements flanking a big clear fixed window in each opening. That would offer ventilation and a nice view. And if you don't find what you are looking for in the responses you get here, check out this category page for lots of helpful window content:

  2. brianvarick | | #2

    I think your only option for casements are a double unit. You might be able to get a double hung that large or a glider. A push out window is more stable than a casement and can give you a breeze but I don't think fits with egress requirements if you need that. Most manufactures have their window elevations on their website and you can see what would fit your place.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |