GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Where can I find engineers who have practiced spacing timber studs greater than 24inches on-center?

GBA Editor | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I have developed a program to calculate maximum on-centers relative to combined compressive and bending loads for timber used as studs. The goal is, for example, to use less material to construct a home. Where could I find an engineer, architect or contractor who has worked on such a project, their experience and results? Many thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Riversong | | #1

    If you tell us where you are, we might have a better sense of where to point you. By your use of the term "timber" in relation to studs, I'm assuming you're a Brit.

    Here in the US of A, repetitive stud framing is called light wood framing, while posts spaced greater than 24" oc are considered timber (heavy) framing.

    What used to be called Optimum Value Engineering, when HUD developed it in the 1980s, and is now called Advanced Framing, uses stacked 24" oc framing members and trusses to reduce wood use without reducing structural integrity in residential construction.

    Since plywood and OSB sheathing have become the standard, spacing more than 24" oc would not meet the specifications for panel sheathing.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |