GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Where do you get cellulose for insulation?

Carol Angell | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I need to insulate the attic of my cape (behind the knee walls). It only has 2 by 4 rafters I believe. I was told closed cell insulation was the only way to go, but my doctor is concerned about my health. I do have chemical sensitivities. Can I use cellulose in my circumstance and will it be effective? I can only insulate the bottom 4-5 feet from the knee walls down. How do I find someone to do this as I have not heard of it until now? Thank you for any help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    You can buy cellulose insulation at most lumberyards or building-supply stores. If you want to have a contractor install the insulation, the contractor is usually responsible for supplying the needed cellulose.

    I'm not sure whether you are planning to install the cellulose on the floor of the small attic, or between the rafters above the attic.

    You may want to read these two articles:

    “Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls”

    How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |