Where to look for industry data?
I have been a Green Building Advisor member for several years and used advice from this community to build an Earthcraft Platinum home.
I am hoping that you can help me to locate some information for a work-related project.
One of my clients has engaged me to write a white paper for a new sheathing product that has an integral water and air barrier. My audience is architects, builders, and specifiers who primarily serve the commercial market.
I would like to reference industry data on the following:
– Percentage of buildings where the water and/or air detailing was not done correctly
– Costs for remedial work when water is able to enter the structure
– Costs for remedial work when air (with or without vapor) is able to enter the structure
– Liability to architects, builders, specifiers when specified sheathing and water and air barriers fail
– Health and comfort consequences for building occupants when water and air infiltrate a structure
– Mandates for building tighter, more efficient commercial buildings
No doubt my audience knows that water and air infiltration is a bad thing, but it would be nice to support this statement with a few relevant data points. If you can share a few links, that would be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part
Every item on your bullet list but the last one is a fairly major research project, and many of these items are hard to quantify. Good luck with your research.
The last item should be fairly easy to nail down. Start by researching changes to the IECC, and check out this relevant web site: Air Barrier Association of America.
Thanks, Martin. I will check out the link.