Where’s the best place to purchase windows from?

Andrew Simpson | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m looking to replace multiple windows in our house, and I would like to tackle the job myself. I fairly handy, and am not shy about tackling projects in our house. I’m curious to see what where people suggest to buy windows from. From reviews I’ve read, everyone says to stay away from the big box stores, like Lowes and Home Depot, because they say the windows lack quality. A number of my windows are special order, and I get to pick out the glass and such, so it is really going to be an inferior product compared to something else out there? I’m located in Ohio, and am open to suggestions, I would like to decide on something relatively soon. Any help is appreciated.

Andy

Andy,
    Your local full-service lumberyard should be able to order windows from most major U.S. window manufacturers.

If you are interested in purchasing windows from a Canadian manufacturer, call up the manufacturer and ask for the name of a local distributor.

For European windows, you have to do some web searching. Lots of East coast builders buy their Intus windows from Performance Building Supply in Portland, Maine. (Intus windows are manufactured in Lithuania.)

2. Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | | #2

Intus windows offer a lot of value for the dollar. If they don't fit your budget, you might want to consider Andersen's 100 Series.

3. freddie03 | | #3

We got our replacement windows special order form home depot. they gave us a contractor discount plus the % off promotion because we ordered more then 5 in one order. YMMV They were the Andersen 400 Series windows. I did a fair amount of research for cost vs. quality vs. energy efficiency and settled on those. We are very happy. Other places I checked were not able to beat the price.

Stay away from window world windows. The seller in my first house put 2 replacements in before I bought the house, they were awful.

DIY TIP, make sure you understand your measurements; for us that was the hardest part. We ordered a single window to check our measurements and they were wrong. We conveyed frame size vs. window size incorrectly. when in doubt get someone else to measure :)

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |