White pine

Jim Sweet | Posted in General Questions on

Hi, I’m needing to build a large rabbit hutch with an enclosed run, and I have to use white pine because the bunnies will chew on the wood and it is safe for them.

Some areas will be exposed to the weather and I can’t paint it. How will white pine hold up unfinished?

Jim,
    Depending on your climate, and the exposure to rain, the white pine will last for three to ten years. The pine will rot faster in a damp climate than a dry climate.

2. KEVIN ZORSKI | | #2

Jim - Building the roof with overhangs would help, and keeping the hutch elevated off the ground. Atlantic White cedar would be a more expensive option. I don't know if the oils in white cedar would be detrimental to rabbits, but i know that white tailed deer in Maine love to eat the greenery in the winter,so I doubt it would be harmful.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |