Wiring boost switches for Panasonic 100 ERV

Andy S | Posted in General Questions on

I’m at a point where we’re not quite ready to install the ERV, but drywall needs to go up in a few places so we can do a blower door test. I’d like to have the wiring in for the boost switches for the ERV but too cheap to spend the money to have an HVAC or sparky come out to just pull a couple wires (we’re building in a somewhat remote area so trip charges are huge). 
What wires do I need to have in place for multiple boost switches? 
Thanks in advance!
-Andy

Akos | | #1

The unit has line voltage controls for boost, this means you need to run romex to each remote switch. I would run a 14-3, this way you can also supply power if you want to use something fancier than a wall switch.

Also be careful with smart controls as the unit switches neutral for both on/standby and boost signals. This means most standard countdown switches or motion sensors won't work. You need to use something that has uncommitted relay outputs or install a relay module in-between.

1. Andy S | | #2

Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for.
      I'm sure that's basic stuff for an HVAC tech, but never having installed an ERV it seemed a closely guarded secret that was only spoken of in indecipherable code words.

Akos | | #3

Not necessarily. I would bet that almost no HVAC tech would RTFM in this case and would have run low voltage wiring as this is what every other ERV/HRV uses.

For the final wiring and controls, a competent electrician would be a much better bet as they can figure out how to deal with the switched neutral signals and be able to wire standard wall controls for you.

I've been using occupancy sensors for ERV boost control and hot water recirc pump. Much simpler as there is zero user interaction and almost no programming and setup, it just works.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |