GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wood or plastic furring strips under Hardie?

green654 | Posted in General Questions on

We are about to add the rain screen with furring strips on our new build. Should we go the traditional route of treated wood furring? Or plastic furring? Thx!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. user-2310254 | | #1

    I think the consensus is you don't have to use pressure treated wood or synthetic furring. A properly constructed rain screen shouldn't allow in much bulk water and should dry out pretty easily. You should be able to rip 3/8 inch plywood and be fine.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |