Advice for a Green Electrician?
I got a question from an electrician the other day, “What can I do to be a green electrician?”
Off the top of my head, I said:
1. Become well acquainted with energy saving switches for lights, fans, and heating/cooling equipment. Also learn about wireless switches for remodeling and programmable thermostats.
2. Learn how to pull wire through SIPs and ICFs as well as how to deal with spray foam insulation in framing cavities.
3. Don’t complain about doing things differently. Look for opportunities to learn new tricks and set yourself apart from Bubba.
4. Learn as much as you can about integrating PV, wind, and CHP.
5. Find greener alternatives in the materials you use (such as PVC-wrapped Romex), and know where to get them.