Alpen vs Smartwin from Advanced Architectural Woodwork
Looking at window packages. For reference, we got a Marvin Ultimate quote at $89,230 for triple pane. I thinks they were maybe a 0.22 u-factor or something like that on average.
Got 4 other quotes but the two I’m most interested in are Smartwin Compact from Advanced Architectural woodwork for either $65.5K or $71K (not sure the quote included sales tax) ans Alpen for either $53.9K or $58K (not sure Alpen quote included shipping so I guessed on shipping for the $58K).
– I can’t help but wonder if uPVC is fundamentally better than wood
– not sure about the thin glass inner pane. Only been out for 4 years or so which is not an extremely long time for checking durability issues
– not very close to me so if any service is needed, it’ll be harder to deal with
– graded highest performance by Emu as a passive house grade A window compared to B grade on Alpen
– I personally know the people who build them and am 25 miles away from them so I’ll get great service
– they will help us on making sure we’re doing a great install
– not sure wood is as good of a foundation as uPVC on durability
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part