GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best bang for the buck

Roy Slagle | Posted in General Questions on

My house heats and cools very inefficiently for a number of reasons, but they mostly add up to below average construction (Maronda Homes for anyone who knows of them). There are a number of general recommendations that come from a variety of interests such as better windows/doors, better attic to second floor sealing, better attic insulation, whole house fan, etc. What I am looking for is someone who is able to visit my home and make an unbiased, professional recommendation based on my actual conditions – in other words someone who is only selling his/her professional advice.

I live in central Ohio where we have cold winters and hot, humid summers. I am very interested in improving my home’s comfort, but I really want to make informed decisions regarding where to spend money.

What type of person should I be looking for, and where would I find such a person?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    You are looking for an energy rater or an energy auditor. The best ones are certified by one of two organizations: either RESNET or BPI. Click on the links to find someone in your area:



  2. Nick Welch | | #2

    Also worth reviewing is the Energy Efficiency Pyramid article by Martin:

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |