Best bang for the buck

Roy Slagle | Posted in General Questions on

My house heats and cools very inefficiently for a number of reasons, but they mostly add up to below average construction (Maronda Homes for anyone who knows of them). There are a number of general recommendations that come from a variety of interests such as better windows/doors, better attic to second floor sealing, better attic insulation, whole house fan, etc. What I am looking for is someone who is able to visit my home and make an unbiased, professional recommendation based on my actual conditions – in other words someone who is only selling his/her professional advice.

I live in central Ohio where we have cold winters and hot, humid summers. I am very interested in improving my home’s comfort, but I really want to make informed decisions regarding where to spend money.

What type of person should I be looking for, and where would I find such a person?

Roy,
    You are looking for an energy rater or an energy auditor. The best ones are certified by one of two organizations: either RESNET or BPI. Click on the links to find someone in your area:

RESNET

BPI

2. Nick Welch | | #2

Also worth reviewing is the Energy Efficiency Pyramid article by Martin: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/energy-efficiency-pyramid

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |