Conditioning an attic with EPS
I’m looking to condition my attic but don’t want to use sprayfoam. I’ve found an EPS mfg that will cut panels to size to I may use them between rafters, and planned on putting EPS 2″ panels under the rafters after.
A few questions:
– Has anyone used EPS to insulate an attic/roof before? Seems like a good idea (similar to a SIP) but I haven’t come across anyone who has done it.
– A key question was to whether seal and insulate the attic floor or roof. We will have remodeling going on that will open up the ceiling, and will likely need the space for storage, so roof seemed to make the most sense although much less common. Are there any fatal flaw I’m missing?
– I am looking to seal the vents, yet have soffit vents that are impossible to get to. Can I seal them from the exterior? With what?
– What would the best way be to seal my ridge vent?
– What other advice would you have?
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part