GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Measuring Intake Airflow

aston01 | Posted in Mechanicals on

I have been looking at my options for continually measuring the airflow of my fresh air intake duct and haven’t found many methods that work with a fixed probe, most involve a probe traverse which is more suitable for spot testing but not really practical for ongoing monitoring.

An Averaging Flow Sensor probe looks like it could potentially work, but as I understand it they actually likely need their installation calibrated.

Series PAFS-1000 Averaging Flow Sensor | Dwyer Instruments (

Is there any other type of probe that would be more suited to this type of use?

FWIW the intake is 6in round rigid duct and the sensor I would be using is a

Sensorion 816 Series
– Measurement range: ± 2.0″ wc (±500 Pa)
– Zero-point accuracy: ± 0.0004″ wc (±0.1 Pa)
– Resolution (zero-point repeatability): ±0.0002″ wc (±0.05 Pa)
– Fully calibrated and temperature-compensated at Sensirion Factory

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |