Dead valley cricket design problem

DirkGently | Posted in General Questions on

Hoping that someone much smarter than me can have a look at the potential roof valley problem in the  attached photos. The architect claims it is no big deal and just build a cricket in the area, but i have not been able to figure it out. Perhaps i am being too cautious? The 3rd photo is how i think this roof detail will look with NO cricket. 
Thanks for any help.

Dirk,
    You're smarter than your architect. That's a terrible roof design. Stick to your guns and insist on simpler roof planes.

2. Charlie Sullivan | | #2

If the architect thinks it's no big deal, how about asking them to draw the cricket they think will work. At the risk, of course that they'll bill you for many hours of trying and failing to figure something out.

Another solution would be to make the roof on that bigger gable just a bit shallower so it can extend from the same peak height on over that window on the right.

Malcolm Taylor | | #3

Dirk,

Ask him to draw out how the cricket would work there. It looks to me like that roof intersection is asking for trouble cricket or not. You shouldn't design dead valleys, and then go looking for a fix.

Akos | | #4

While back I visited a good friend of mine that just bought a new house. On the way out, I looked up and saw a similar roof detail, mentioned to him to keep an eye on the snow as those are trouble. Took maybe a week before he called me because the roof was leaking at that spot.

There is absolutely zero excuse for designing that type of detail into a new build. There are many ways of getting the same design without a very questionable intersection.

Origami roofs are hard to roof, water proof, air seal and insulate. About the only person that wins is the carpenter as it is a lot of work to frame that up from lumber.

5. DirkGently | | #5

Wow. Thank you so much for your replies. The architect made me feel like i was really missing something and it was no big deal. This same home was built near a ski area in Washington and allegedly has no problems. I am back to the drawing board. I hate to scrap the plans over this, so hopefully that arcitect or another can figure out a roof design change. I am going to ask if it can be made a shed roof instead.

6. Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | | #6

My previous house had a similar valley design and sure enough a couple of years after we moved in I heard a loud bang one evening after dinner and then I saw a paint bubble develop on the interior wall below the valley section and eventually it was raining inside. The rework was to add ice and water shield 18" up the vertical wall and 3' up the gable section, replace the first few HardiPlank Boards on the vertical wall with a 1x12 Azek board, and use roll out asphalt instead of shingles.

I think with designs like this it is not a question of if it will fail, but when.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |