HRV + humidifier vs. ERV in a mostly dry climate Passive House
I’m looking at using a Messana system with radiant ceiling panels which has an HRV+dehumidifier to manage the dew point and an optional humidifier. I want to compare that to a Zehnder ERV/HRV swappable core.
Here’s my assessment:
– Location: Colorado, 7,000′ elevation
– will need to help maintain humidity during cold winter days
– will need to remove humidity on a half dozen warm humid days in the summer
ERV/HRV swappable core:
– simpler system for managing humidity
– more efficient at humidifying than an integrated humidifier? (not sure about this)
– Doesn’t have fine grain control of humidity
– may require manually changing cores seasonally.
– ERVs are not as efficient as HRVs for heat exchanging.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part