GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I need to install a water heater in a basement

TamaraMarie62 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

According to IBC codes, pressure-relief valve piping must exit the structure but the basement floor is 8′ below ground and the piping cannot go uphill. So what do you do to drain water should it discharge?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    It's possible to buy a condensate pump that conveys liquid to an upstairs drain. But I have never heard of a condensate pump being used for a temperature/pressure relief valve. In most residential buildings, building inspectors allow these valves to be discharged onto the basement floor.

    I would check with your local building department to see what is recommended.

  2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

    Condensate pumps used for AC drips can't handle either the heat or the volume if the thing really opens up. A real sump pump can, but I'd be surprised if local code really required it.

  3. gusfhb | | #3

    Perhaps there has been a change, but most new install water heaters that I have seen have a drain pan with a pipe down to.......somewhere. Grade level on a concrete floor they usually just spill on the floor.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |