GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Identifying this 1957 panel for insurance purposes

Justen | Posted in General Questions on

Due to hail, we are working on a number of homes built in 1957 in southern NM. These are block homes with purlins 32″ OC and what appears to be 2″ Tectum 1 panels from way back when.

We plan on going back with the 8.25″ R Control panels to meet the IECC building code of R-30 for the roof/ceiling assembly, which will be a huge upgrade for these homes. What we really need is to properly identify these panels for insurance though. Please see the attached photos.

Thank you in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    As these panels part of a roof assembly? Stacked like pancakes on top of the rafters?

    The panels look like fiberboard to me.

  2. Justen | | #2

    I agree that it's similar to fiberboard but I do not believe that's what it is. Here's a photo of the interior of the panels. Hopefully this helps.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |