GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for integrated design help in RI

David Bettridge | Posted in Project Management on

I am acting as contractor on the renovation of my home in Rhode Island.
Major interior renovation, all new exterior, all new doors and windows, new roof.
I have become dis-satisfied with my architect’s knowledge about such issues as insulation technology, passive cooling, etc.
I am looking for someone to take over the design of exterior wall details, door & window details and roof details as well as a whole-house heating and cooling plan.
Is there a national registry of design professionals in this field?
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Matthew Amann | | #1

    I personally believe you should be able to find a good builder/remodeler in the area that will know what to do and how to do it, I would skip the architect in this situation, IMHO....

  2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

    National Grid (the electric utility) just extended its deep-energy retrofit pilot program (a program that includes big incentives) to Rhode Island. You may be interested in contacting them. More info:

  3. David Bettridge | | #3

    @Matthew: I'm doing the bulk of the work myself so I assume a builder/remodeler isn't going to be interested in providing design services unless they're VERY slow on work.
    @Martin: thanks, RISE Engineering is coming over for an evaluation and I've had a blower-door test but they're both retro-fit oriented and I'm planning on opening up walls to the foundation on the ground floor and taking the exterior (including the roof) down to the sheathing so it's almost a new-construction situation.

  4. 5C8rvfuWev | | #4

    David, if your blower door was done by a RESNET cert. HERS contractor, perhaps you could ask him/her ... they should know. If you want to contact all the RESNET certified folk in your area, you can check their contractor list as the website -- but be aware that the search function doesn't list "associate" members. For those folk, there is a separate, and lengthy, listing elsewhere on the website.

    At least locally, these people seem to know everybody!

    Good luck.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |