Solar Attic Fans in Hawaii?

Andrew808 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

We have a low-slope (2:12) pitch and a very shallow attic space with R-19 fiberglass insulation in Hawaii.
The attic is ventilated with soffit and eve vents. I have been told – “you can’t have too much air intake.” So, I plan to increase the number of soffit vents.

We currently have a powered fan on the leeward side of the home in an eve vent — it seems to help reduce humidity in the attic (I do measure it).

Multiple roofers recommend adding a solar attic fan to our roof. 
Does the fan actually release much heat?

I don’t think we have a condensation concern — warm attic and warm roof. But, what do I need to worry about in a ventilated attic in this climate?

Thank you,
Andrew

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Andrew,

Please avoid duplicate threads. Your original question is at https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/question/insulating-low-slope-212-roof-in-hawaii-should-we-consider-venting-above-polyiso. You might want to go to it and response to my AC question.

GBA is a small community, so it sometimes takes a few days to secure input.

1. Andrew808 | | #2

Thanks Steve -- my apologies. It was an accident.

Regards,
      Andrew

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |