ShockWave Drainage and Insulation Board

Pat_Kiernan | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Does anyone have experience/opinions on ShockWave Drainage and Insulation Board for use as exterior basement insulation?

http://www.mar-flex.com/products/residential-solutions/drainage-boards/shockwave-drainage-board/

One house in our area is using it. It seems fairly easy to compress.

Pat,
    I'm not familiar with the product. The R-value information provided in two published documents -- a brochure and spec sheet -- are irritatingly misleading when it comes to listing the product's R-value.

The listed R-value is for "3 layers: earth, foam, concrete." That's absurd. No one should report product R-values this way -- and in fact I suspect that their literature is in technical violation of the Federal R-value Rule.

If you compare the R-values listed for the 1 inch thick product and the 2 inch thick product, you can deduce that the foam may have an R-value of R-4.5 per inch. But because they play games with their R-value reporting, the manufacturer has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

2. Pat_Kiernan | | #2

Thanks for taking a closer look. I thought the way they presented R-Value was misleading as well. They claim to have LEED certification, but I don't really know what that's worth.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |