GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Spray-on housewrap

1stimer | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

My contractor asked me to look into doing a spray-on housewrap instead of a normal wrap.
He said I could cut down on using insulated siding and in-house spray-in foam. I like the idea of the spray-on housewrap but not sure about its effect versus spray foam inside.

Any insight one way or the other on this subject. This is new construction.


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    This type of product is usually called a liquid-applied WRB. (A WRB is a water-resistive barrier.)

    The purpose of a WRB is to act as a barrier to wind-driven rain that gets past the siding. It protects the wall sheathing from rot.

    On the other hand, spray foam insulation has a different purpose. It is usually used as insulation (to provide R-value) or to reduce air leaks.

    It's true that a liquid-applied WRB is also useful at reducing air leakage, so in a sense there is some overlap between a liquid-applied WRB and spray foam. (If you made a Venn diagram, the area where the two circles overlap would be labeled "helps reduce air leakage.")

    For more information on liquid-applied WRBs, see Housewrap in a Can: Liquid-Applied WRBs.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |