Thermo-seal window leak

user-7291591 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have a number of therm-pane windows that have moisture between the glass panes.
The house was built in 2003. It has a fully bricked exterior.
When we purchased the house three years ago, we had a number of other window failures, which we had replaced. It was expensive.
I have heard of a process to replace the lost gas and reseal the window, at a reduced  cost. Is this a viable option?
We live in central Ontario, in the middle of the snow belt. There are occasions when the winter temperature dips to > -20 C, and the summer  temperature occasionaly rises to 30 C.

User-7291591,
    First of all, can you tell us your name? (I'm Martin.)

As far as I know, the only solution to a failed seal on an insulated glazing unit (IGU) is to replace the glass with a new IGU. Note that some window manufacturers or glazing manufacturers offer lifetime guarantees to the purchaser -- so if you are looking for a supplier to do this work, as about their guarantee.

Peter Yost | | #2

I am with Martin on this one: once the seal fails and you get condensation/moisture in the IGU, you need to replace the IGU. The IGU gets assembled and gas-filled in a very controlled environment in a factory so retrofitting in the field any IGU is simply not possible.

Peter

3. Colin63 | | #3

90 percent of all modern windows can be repaired cheap at your local glass company. There's a snap channel that comes out. 30 to 60 bucks per window

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |