Wall-mounted ductless minisplit vs concealed duct minisplit
Hi GBA group,
Were finalizing our plans for the HVAC and everyone has been helpful. We are now deciding on 2 options and wanted to get all opinions on each.
Option 1: 1 Bedroom/1 Bath Apt Minisplits are widely used in the NYC area and was planning on have a TWO 1 to 1 units wall mounted.
We would be using 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom. They have a low min btu for both heating and cooling so I’d imagine they wouldnt shortcycle.
Cost: $3192.00 for 2 units no need for ducting and will need to connect about 40-50 feet to reach their outdoor units in the roof.
Option 2: Instead of using 2 wall mounted minisplits, we would go for a single zone concealed duct mini split 9K
The indoor unit would probably stand inside the ceiling at the entrance of the apartment and then run less than 10 feet of ducting to the living room and less than 10 feet of ducting to the bedroom. This would only be single zone. They would definitely look nicer in my opinion as they feed to a linear slot diffuser for a modern look.
Cost: $2102.00 plus whatever duct word needed to install, cost of linear slot diffusers, plenums, etc.
Comparing them and from the advice, people say:
1) The concealed duct is less maintenance
2) The wall mount offers 2 separate zones of temperature control
3) Cost wise not sure how much the extra cost for the ducting, labor, plenums, and linear slot diffusers but Id imagine it would be more than $1000.00 more which would make it more expensive to begin with than the 2 separate wall mount units.
4) For the Concealed duct, I am only working with 1 outdoor condenser so I save more room on the roof compared to the separate zones which would take up 2 outdoor condensers
5) I have only met with a few installers and GC that are 100% familiar with the wall mounted units but they havent really installed the concealed duct units but they said if its anything like a central air system, shouldnt be problem either.
We are looking for the best optimal solution as this is for luxury rental building so we are looking for reliability, longevity, least maintenance as I will be maintaining the building myself, price difference of 1-2k wont matter to me if the other aspects are a lot greater but a 5k+ difference for at least 7 units will make me start to consider.
Is it necessary to have them installed by their respective company Mitsubishi in this case their certified “diamond installers” to get the extended 12 year warranties?
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part