GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What product do you apply to the inside of studs to create a thermal break?

Tim Schreiner | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Advisor Mike Guertin mentioned reading about a product that you can apply to the inside of studs to create a thermal break. I would love to know the info on this.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Mike Guertin | | #1

    I saw the product in an ad in one of the 10 construction magazines I read monthly and of course, I recycled that issue and don't recollect the name. I did some checking on the performance of thin (1/8 in.) foam tapes applied to studs as a thermal bridge break and from what I could gather the effect is minimal. All of the research I scanned was done on steel studs (where thermal bridging is a serious problem) but I suppose you can extrapolate to wood studs.

    It appears that to get a decent thermal bridge break you'd need about 1/2 inch of foam.

    ORNL developed Stud Snugglers a number of years ago but I couldn't find any companies who took the idea to market.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |