Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

1 Answer

Slab on grade retrofit - Climate Zone 3C

Hello all,

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By ELLE55 | Mar 28 17
1 Answer

Flooring approach in climate zone 3A basement

Hey folks,

I'm planning on finishing by basement and am looking for some advice on the flooring assembly. I posted something similar about the walls a few weeks back. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-an...

Some quick information: Climate zone 3a, poured concrete slab, no insulation under slab, no bulk water issues so far, new house constructed in 2016.

In General questions | Asked By Jamie Royal | Mar 27 17
2 Answers

Timber vs concrete uppermost ceiling

Price not being a factor, does either of these options have any significant advantages or disadvantages over another?

I'm building a 2 story brick and concrete house, but am considering of going with timber ceiling under the roof (which could also end up being flat roof).

The local price will be the deciding factor, but only if there are no serious drawbacks to the timber construction.

So, what gives, if anything?

Sound insulation should not be an issue since it's uppermost?
There is not much difference in thermal insulation?

In General questions | Asked By davor radman | Mar 23 17
7 Answers

Building a new home in Climate Zone 5 — Need insulation help

We are building a new home in zone 5 (Michigan) and I would like your recommendations on how you would insulate the walls and roof/attic space.

The home is 3500 sqft with 2750 on the main floor and 750 upstairs. The main living space (kitchen, dinning, living room) is open concept with a cathedral ceiling. Other areas have a more traditional attic space.

The basement will be unfinished and we will use 2" rigid foam under the slab and on the walls. (unless you tell me differently)

Walls are 2x6 construction.

In GBA Pro help | Asked By NKoenig | Mar 26 17
25 Answers

Hydronic Heating System Hydraulic Buffer Tank vs Hydraulic Seperator

This question might be more appropriate in a plumbing forum but I have had such great and thoughtful responses in the GBA forums I look to here first. This is also a hydronic heating mainstream topic which should be appropriate for GBA.

In Mechanicals | Asked By Roger Smith | Feb 26 17
5 Answers

Different one-part foams

Hey folks,

I'm installing XPS/EPS rigid foam against my basement walls. I've seen and read on FHB using low-expanding as the adhesive to hold the foam on the walls. I'll be framing a 2x4 wall in front of the rigid foam, so the adhesive only needs a moderate hold.

Great Stuff Window & Door is by far the most common spray foam I see. Its in the big box stores, Amazon, etc. I've put up a few rigid foam sheets in the basement as a test with the Great Stuff and the hold is fine.

In Green products and materials | Asked By Jamie Royal | Mar 26 17
7 Answers

Spay foam on the inside of poured foundation to avoid mold?

I have a question regarding insulating a new construction poured foundation in zone 6B, close to 7A. Twenty miles north of Minneapolis.

Originally I was planning on either a T-Mass or ICF foundation. Both are somewhat more expensive and have a lower R value than what I am now proposing. The current plan is to insulate the outside with 2" foam sheets. This will satisfy code. Then on the inside I would spray 2" of foam and insulate a stud wall with either Rockwool or fiberglass. This wall would be around R-30.

In General questions | Asked By jim sweazey | Mar 26 17
3 Answers

Perlite insulation?

Mineral wool is a popular insulation recommendation, but it seems expensive and has limited supplier options. I came across some info on perlite (and even vermiculite and lightweight expanded clay aggregate [LECA]) as a potential insulation material. I realize that it has a lower R-value per inch than others (perlite loose fill at 2.7/in, vermiculite 2.08/in), but if wall thickness were not a limiting factor, would it be a worthwhile consideration?

In Green products and materials | Asked By Stuart Miller | Mar 27 17
1 Answer

Climate Zone suggestion

Given the importance of climate zone to the nature of this forum I would highly recommend that it be a required drop down field in the "Create Community Question" pages.

In General questions | Asked By Edgar Pankey | Mar 27 17
7 Answers

Second generation Whirlpool heat-pump clothes dryers: Any good?

I would like to install a ventless dryer. The Whirlpool HybridCare duets are the only large ventless dryers on the market. The discontinued WED99HEDW model got a lot of good reviews. The new models don't have many reviews yet, but the reviews they have aren't good.

Here's my question: Is anybody out there actively building the new models into new homes, and are you getting callbacks about their quality? Does anybody have a new model HybridCare, and has it been reliable?


In Green products and materials | Asked By John Ranson | Mar 26 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!