Acrylic primer + tape

Mark Walker | Posted in General Questions on

Is an acrylic primer/sealer like PPG Gripper plus an acrylic tape like 3M 8067 All-Weather a good combination for air-sealing OSB to OSB (seams) and OSB to concrete (sill plate)?

Gripper is $25/gallon. I’m thinking of either using it on all the OSB or just the edges.  2″ 8067 is $0.16/ft.

Would Gripper and a dimpled rain screen coexist in contact with each other?

Is this a lot of effort for little return or an inexpensive way to get better performance out of the house?

Mark,
    In my backyard tape test, 3M All Weather Flashing Tape performed very well on OSB, even without primer. Here is a link to an article with more information: "Return to the Backyard Tape Test."

If you need to tape OSB to concrete, there are only two tapes I would recommend: either Siga Fentrim or Pro Clima Contega Solido Exo.

Peter Yost | | #2

Hi Mark -

I also did quite a bit of PSA tape testing (see the Sticky Business series of blogs now on http://www.building-wright.com).

I agree with Martin's field testing results and recommendations. I did not test 3M 8067 but many others in addition to Martin have had good results with this tape. I do think OSB is a challenging substrate especially over time (moisture content changes that stress the adhesive bond) but crossing manufacturers for tape and primer is tricky. They all have proprietary formulations and I would not vouch for compatibility, at least not without testing.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |