Help with basement design
I am working on refinishing a play room in the basement that was recently damaged from water coming through the slab because my gutter was not hooked into the corrugated pipe that takes water away. So I now I want to refinish a playroom for my 1 year old son in the basement, making sure the health and safety is the priority.
I have included a picture of my plan and wanted some advice on some small questions i have. My plan is to use 2″ XPS on the wall, seal the top and bottom per BSC, then place a steel stud wall with the bottom plate on a piece of XPS 1″. I was not planning on putting additional insulation in between the studs as my basement is comfortable now without any insulation so the R10 should be enough. I dont want to putt fiberglass insulation in because I am worried about mold on the fiberglass. I then plan to finish the wall with Densearmour. For the floor I plan on using Platon, then 5/8OSB and then vinyl plank.
My questions are
1. In general does this plan seem sound?
2. What is better sealant and adhesive for the XPS: caulk/adhesive approved for foam board or great stuff made for foam board?
3. I need help with where all I need to place beads of sealant, recommendations?
4. How should I tie the floor into the wall? Should I place platon first then place the xps on the platon making sure to seal behind the xps board where it comes to contact with the platon or should I abut the platon against the XPS foam under the bottom plate and seal the gap between the XPS and platon? Or is there a completely better idea the I havent thought of.
5. Should I leave a gap around the parameter for the OSB?
Please let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate the help.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part