Occupancy/Vacancy sensor phantom loads

Calum Wilde | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/26261/phantom-load-occupancy-sensor

5 years ago Marcus asked about phantom loads from motion sensor light switches. I’m wondering if anything has changed in that time? I’ve searched, but I can’t find measured values for any of the newer models.

Thanks guys

Calum,
    I haven't heard of any recent breakthroughs in this realm, but I welcome comments from GBA readers.

2. TylerClose | | #2

To eliminate the phantom load, I think you need to look for a "vacancy sensor" as opposed to an "occupancy sensor". I recently purchased a Lutron Maestro C.L. Dimmer and Vacancy motion sensor (MSCL-VP153M-WH). Note the "VP" in the part number as opposed to "OP" for the occupancy sensor version. I wired it up to a Kill-A-Watt monitor and found that it was only consuming energy when on. When off, it used zero watts, so no phantom load.

3. Walter Ahlgrim | | #3

I like the idea.
    Vacancy detector
    You physically turn on the light and the sensor turns lights off 1-30 minutes after it detects you leaving a room.

Walta

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |