GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wood in water

VTMOM | Posted in Building Code Questions on

New construction- got some rain and water sat in basement….some of the wood is not PT and soaked up wood. Daughter has serious reaction to mold – will this “dry out once the heat kicks in” or do I make them pull it off?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    What type of wood got wet? Are you talking about the bottom plates of some partitions? Or your stair stringers? Or was there a pile of construction lumber sitting down there?

  2. wjrobinson | | #2

    From day one did you explain your mold concerns? Water damage companies are who to call to examine your build and remediate if needed.

  3. VTMOM | | #3

    9 jack studs ( no PT wood), plywood w/ luaun on it (absorbed water), stair stringers touching cement but do not think water got to them.

  4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

    I would start by letting the wood dry out and seeing how it looks. If your daughter has medical symptoms, talk to her doctor and follow the medical advice given.

  5. user-1137156 | | #5

    I'd suggest washing the wetted areas with a strong solution of "20 Mule Team Borax", say 2 cups per gallon. let it air dry. The Borax will kill any mold present AND prevent re-growth.

  6. jinmtvt | | #6

    I am sure you all know that mold spores are universally "everywhere" .
    Don't panic if you don't see won't grow magically on the wood,
    unless you leave the humidity high enough.

    Get a nice dehumidifier, and set it to 40%
    let it be ..

    visual inspection every few days ..If the wood dries and there are no mold to be seen,
    it will never grow unless wet again or humidity higher than 60-70% for long periods.

    Don't wait till you turn the heating ON ... act now.

    You should always have a dehumidifier in a basement set to a speficic point neway ..

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |