(MA-specific) How to get clawfoot tub installed in NEW construction

We are about to pour slab-on-grade here in Massachusetts. Under-slab plumbing is done. Our hope is to reuse an old antique clawfoot tub in our new construction. *Reusing* old, instead of buying new, seems very 'green' to us, hence this inquiry at GBA.

MA has an 'approved plumbing list' for all fixtures. If it not on the list, then it is not permitted for installation. So far as I can tell, I don't think the AHJ can override it, but perhaps there is some slack.Until I am more sure of my options I do not want to have a discussion with the plumbing inspector office.

The problems are that (a) it is obvious that a random antique clawfoot tub will not be on that approval list, (b) also having trouble finding antique tub filler that would be approved.

So how does one do the 'green' thing with respect to this situation? I'd not enjoy having to purchase an expensive-but-MA-approved modern standalone tub to complete this build.

I suspect the wisdom here will be to give up on "antique" tub since there is no success fighting city hall here in MA, but I am hopeful that some of our local MA brainiacs on GBA might know some way through this particular labyrinth.

Thank you.

Ken

PS - two pieces of info I did gather during this process regarding building code. 1) The window next to the tub must be tempered glass (instead of the three pane insulated glass used elsewhere), 2) such a standalone tub must be anchored to the slab.

Asked by Kenneth Gartner
Posted Sep 13, 2017 5:50 AM ET

1.

Kenneth,
I'm hoping that a Massachusetts builder will respond to your question.

Q. "I'm also having trouble finding an antique tub filler that would be approved."

A. I'm guessing that your problem is approval rather than finding a source of the hardware. But in case you haven't found a supplier, I'll provide a few links to online retailers:

Overstock.com

SignatureHardware.com

VintageTub.com

Posted Sep 13, 2017 6:47 AM ET

2.

Here's another source for freestanding tubs and their fillers, overflows and shower curtain rods.
http://www.sunrisespecialty.com/index.html

Answered by Patrick McCombe
Posted Sep 13, 2017 1:59 PM ET