0 Helpful?

(MA-specific) How to get clawfoot tub installed in NEW construction

We are about to pour slab-on-grade here in Massachusetts. Under-slab plumbing is done. Our hope is to reuse an old antique clawfoot tub in our new construction. *Reusing* old, instead of buying new, seems very 'green' to us, hence this inquiry at GBA.

MA has an 'approved plumbing list' for all fixtures. If it not on the list, then it is not permitted for installation. So far as I can tell, I don't think the AHJ can override it, but perhaps there is some slack.Until I am more sure of my options I do not want to have a discussion with the plumbing inspector office.

The problems are that (a) it is obvious that a random antique clawfoot tub will not be on that approval list, (b) also having trouble finding antique tub filler that would be approved.

So how does one do the 'green' thing with respect to this situation? I'd not enjoy having to purchase an expensive-but-MA-approved modern standalone tub to complete this build.

I suspect the wisdom here will be to give up on "antique" tub since there is no success fighting city hall here in MA, but I am hopeful that some of our local MA brainiacs on GBA might know some way through this particular labyrinth.

Thank you.

Ken

PS - two pieces of info I did gather during this process regarding building code. 1) The window next to the tub must be tempered glass (instead of the three pane insulated glass used elsewhere), 2) such a standalone tub must be anchored to the slab.

Asked by Kenneth Gartner
Posted Sep 13, 2017 4:50 AM ET

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Kenneth,
I'm hoping that a Massachusetts builder will respond to your question.

Q. "I'm also having trouble finding an antique tub filler that would be approved."

A. I'm guessing that your problem is approval rather than finding a source of the hardware. But in case you haven't found a supplier, I'll provide a few links to online retailers:

Overstock.com

SignatureHardware.com

VintageTub.com

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted Sep 13, 2017 5:47 AM ET

Here's another source for freestanding tubs and their fillers, overflows and shower curtain rods.
http://www.sunrisespecialty.com/index.html

Answered by Patrick McCombe
Posted Sep 13, 2017 12:59 PM ET

Other Questions in Building Code Questions

Twin Fresh combo in a hall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by scott mangold | Nov 23, 17

Attic insulation question

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Brian Ducharme | Nov 24, 17

Open-cell foam on attic floor

In General questions | Asked by David Coker | Nov 24, 17

Brick foundation questions

In General questions | Asked by User-6953713 | Nov 23, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!