GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

V-factor

BruceAF | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I hope this is not a dumb question…but what exactly is the V-factor in the 2009 IECC. I shows up several times in Section 4 for example, Sec 402.1 .3 V-Factor Alternative. I think it is the same as the U-factor….but why are they referring to it as V-Factor.

Thanks….

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #1

Here is what my 2009 IECC says: (I don't have a "V")
    402.1.3 U-factor alternative. An assembly with a U-factor equal to or less than that specified in Table 402.1.3 shall be permitted as an alternative to the R-value in Table 402.1.1.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Bruce,
    I agree with Armando. Perhaps it's time to get bifocals?

3. BruceAF | | #3

MIne says:

402.1.3 V-factor alternative. An assembly with a V-factor equal to or less than that specified in Table 402.1.3 shall be permitted as an alternative to the R-value in Table 402.1.1.

See attached screen shot...

I already have the bifocals..... :)

I am referring to my PDF version of the IECC 2009.....I have not checked by book version yet but I will...

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Bruce,
    Looks like a typo...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |